Friday, August 28, 2009

Two ways to jam tomorrow night

This is probably the only time my weekend pick will have something relating to what would typically fall under my Tuesday category of pop-country that is so bad it is good.

Tomorrow night the legendary Travis Tritt is playing at the Birmingham Race Course at 9 p.m. All I can say is that I know going will guarantee that “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive.”


BONUS: I might be reviewing this for The Birmingham News should I be able to work around some prior family obligations. Should I be so lucky to attend, I will also be on the lookout for some classic mullets and sexy Travis-like hairdos in the crowd and will post pictures ASAP.


And for you hipsters: On another end of the music spectrum, I suggest going to see the Great Book of John. Vocalist/guitarist Taylor Shaw from Wild Sweet Orange, a band that is certainly a local music success story, is the lead man behind GBOJ. Also, my good friend Bekah Fox is on vocals, Alex Mitchell on upright bass, and Chip Kilpatrick (also from Wild Sweet Orange) on drums.

I’m not going to go into describing them besides saying their music is simply beautiful and encouraging you to check it out for yourself.

The show is at 9 p.m. and tickets are only $10. Additionally, Birmingham artists Acts of Congress and Jon Black are on the bill as well.

http://www.myspace.com/thegreatbookofjohn

1 comment: